Published at 28/01/2021 at 02:27
Published at 28/01/2021 at 00:41
Published at 27/01/2021 at 21:04
Published at 27/01/2021 at 15:54
Published at 27/01/2021 at 15:44
Published at 27/01/2021 at 12:03
Published at 27/01/2021 at 09:17
Published at 27/01/2021 at 04:37
Published at 27/01/2021 at 00:36
Published at 26/01/2021 at 21:13
Published at 28/01/2021 at 03:57
Published at 28/01/2021 at 02:32
Published at 28/01/2021 at 01:03
Published at 27/01/2021 at 21:07
Published at 27/01/2021 at 18:52
Published at 27/01/2021 at 12:52
Published at 27/01/2021 at 07:56
Published at 27/01/2021 at 02:32
Published at 27/01/2021 at 00:52
Published at 26/01/2021 at 21:49
PRECIOUS-Gold rises on inflation bets ahead of Biden unveiling stimulus
Published at 14/01/2021 at 01:21
Jan 14 (Reuters) - Gold prices rose on Thursday ahead of U.S. President-elect Joe Biden's coronavirus stimulus proposal, while data showing U.S. consumer prices rose solidly in December bolstered bets of higher inflation.
* Spot gold rose 0.3% to $1,848.07 per ounce by 0054 GMT, while U.S. gold futures eased 0.4% to $1,847.70.
* Biden will press Congress on Thursday to deliver immediate pandemic "rescue" efforts before turning to broader "recovery" measures like healthcare and infrastructure, the incoming administration's top economic adviser said on Wednesday.
* Biden last week estimated his economic relief plan would cost "trillions" of dollars.
* U.S. consumer prices increased solidly in December and inflation could temporarily accelerate this year as the government provides more money to stimulate the economy.
* Gold is considered a hedge against inflation.
* U.S. economic activity increased modestly in recent weeks and a growing number of the Federal Reserve's districts saw a drop in employment as a surge in coronavirus cases led to more shutdowns of businesses, the U.S. central bank said on Wednesday.
* The U.S. House of Representatives passed a single article of impeachment accusing President Donald Trump of "incitement of insurrection", making him the first president in U.S. history to be impeached twice.
* Exchange traded funds (ETFs) storing gold for investors shrank for a second month in December, but nevertheless grew more than ever before in 2020 thanks to massive stockpiling earlier in the coronavirus outbreak.
* Holdings of the world's largest gold-backed exchange-traded fund SPDR Gold Trust fell 0.9% to 1,171.21 tonnes on Wednesday.
* Silver rose 0.8% to $25.34 an ounce. Platinum
climbed 0.4% to $1,098.77, while palladium eased 0.4% to $2,375.45. DATA/EVENTS (GMT) 0630 India WPI Inflation YY Dec 1330 US Initial Jobless Clm Weekly
- China Exports, Imports YY Dec
- China Trade Balance USD Dec
(Reporting by Sumita Layek in Bengaluru; Editing by Ramakrishnan M.)
((Sumita.Layek@thomsonreuters.com; Within U.S. +1 646 223 8780, Outside U.S. +91 8061822693; Reuters Messaging: Sumita.Layek.email@example.com))