Second AIB Start-up Academy Launches in the Sugar Club, Dublin

David McKiernan of Java Republic speaking at the Sugar Club for the 2nd Start Up Academy event.

AIB launched the second AIB Start-up Academy in collaboration with The Irish Times on Thursday 28th May in the Sugar Club, Dublin.

The aim of the initiative is for start-ups to network and learn and to find the next great start-up from around the country. Applications from start-up companies interested in taking part in this year’s Academy are now open.

Ken Burke, Head of Business Banking, AIB got the evening’s proceedings underway and noted how The AIB Start-up Academy gave a fantastic opportunity for entrepreneurs and start-ups to showcase their businesses at the 11 networking events that were held across the country last year.

Isolde Johnson and Sarah O’Connor from Cool Beans discussed the marketing of healthy and convenient foods for busy people who might otherwise make a poor food choice. Having presented at last year’s start-up night in Dublin, Cool Beans have come on leaps and bounds, now selling healthy cannellini bean meals in three varieties in 221 SuperValu supermarkets across Ireland.

Elva Carri and Aine Mulloy from GirlCrew presented on this unique concept, born from one girl’s need for some dancing buddies on a Friday night. This has now become a unique community for women with events ranging from holidays to movie nights to nights out on the town. GirlCrew has almost 10,000 members in 36 cities worldwide currently.

The winner from last year’s AIB Start-up Academy, Herdwatch’s Fabien Peyaud, shared his winning pitch on the stage of the Sugar Club for their “CRM for cows”.

Next, Brody Sweeney, founder of Camile Thai Kitchen, presented on how entrepreneurship has both its ups and downs. Having previously founded O’Briens Irish Sandwich Cafés, Brody discussed the highs of the good times to the lows of going into receivership and starting-up all over again with his new business.

David McKernan of Java Republic outlined what made his business work successfully. He attributed this to spending just 5% of the planning process raising capital and the other 95% focusing on straight forward yet elusive task of “getting it right”.

This event marked the first of 11 start-up events planned around the country. The next event will take place on Wednesday 3rd June at the Crane Lane Theatre, Cork.

Don’t miss out! It’s free and places are limited. Sign up now by clicking here.

Find out more about the AIB Start-up Academy here.

To see more examples of how We’re Backing Brave, follow us on Twitter or check out the conversation at #backedbyAIB.