Insurance FAQs

--------------------Start of Accordion Container---------------------------

Click on edit button to enter Accordion Header

Travel Insurance FAQs

  • What is AIB Travel Insurance?

    AIB has created a range of travel insurance covers to protect you. These policies are underwritten and serviced by our chosen underwriters, Chubb European Group SE. The Chubb Group is one of the world's largest property and casualty insurers with strong financial ratings from leading rating agencies.

  • What do you mean by the term Irish resident?

    An Irish resident is someone who has been living in Ireland (not Northern Ireland) for at least 180 days prior to the date the cover is applied for.

  • Is it safe to put my personal details online?

    Yes. Whenever we ask you for personal information, we do so within a secure environment and all details sent between you and our web site are encrypted. If you have any questions or concerns regarding our security policy you can contact Chubb Insurance by phoning +44 1293 725801 between 09.00 and 17.00 on weekdays.

  • Can I get instant cover and policy documents - I'm travelling today?

    No problem! As soon as you make a payment, we will confirm your cover on screen, and to the email address you have provided. You can also choose to get an SMS with cover details to your mobile. Provided you have your policy number, emergency contact number and claims contact number, you have all the basic information you need.

  • When does my cover begin?

    If you are buying a single trip policy, your cancellation cover begins instantly. If you are buying an annual policy, your can choose when your cover begins up to 180 days in the future. If you have already booked a holiday, and have no other travel insurance arrangements in place, you should ensure your policy starts immediately, so you are covered for cancellation.

  • How do I make a claim?

    See our claims section for details.

  • What happens if my flight is delayed beyond the insurance period?

    If your flight is delayed on your return journey and you do not get back into the country until after your policy has expired, your cover will continue until your airline can get you home.

  • Can I change my policy?

    You can change your policy. If you need to add winter sports cover, upgrade area of cover or want to increase the number of people insured, you can call us on 1800 24 24 67 (Mon – Fri 9am-5pm). Once you are not on holiday at the time, we can cancel your policy, give you an appropriate return of premium and arrange a new policy for you.

  • How do I renew my annual multi trip policy?

    We will send you an email reminder before your policy expires so that you can renew your travel insurance. You can buy another policy through the AIB Mobile app, online or over the phone 1800 24 24 67 (Mon – Fri 9am – 5pm).

  • What if I have a medical emergency abroad?

    This depends on which of our covers you have purchased. Healthcare+ Travel Insurance - you must contact your Private Medical Insurance (PMI) provider. They will be responsible for handling your medical expenses claim until medical repatriation costs exceed their policy limit. If your costs exceed 50% of your PMI policy limit, you must contact us immediately on +353 1 661 9133. For all other Travel Insurance emergencies please call Chubb Assistance on +353 1 440 1762.

  • Do I have to pay medical expenses and claim them back or will you pay them directly?

    If it's a medical emergency and you are admitted to hospital our emergency assistance service will guarantee the fees of the hospital and attending doctor(s) - so you don't have to pay. In cases where the expenses are small, you may opt to pay, or be asked to pay, and claim the money back. Please talk to our emergency assistance service, unless the case is very minor, and they will decide what to do.

  • How many days am I actually covered per year under your annual policy?

    Our annual policy covers you for individual trips of up to 31 consecutive days. You can take as many individual trips as you like providing you don't spend more than 90 days abroad in any insurance period. If you select our winter sports option, you will be covered for up to 21 days in any insurance period whilst you participate in winter sports either abroad or in the Republic of Ireland.

  • Do the limits under the policy apply per person or per policy?

    Each of you is covered separately up to the limits shown in the policy. The policy limits apply in the same way as they would if you had each taken two separate policies. This is true for each person insured under the policy, although some benefits are restricted for children less than 16 years of age.

  • Am I covered for holidays in the Republic of Ireland?

    Yes, provided you have bought an annual policy. You must spend at least two nights in accommodation you booked before your departure. So a weekend break involving two nights in a hotel would be covered, but a day out and overnight stop wouldn't. If you have bought a single trip policy you will not be covered for holidays in the Republic of Ireland. Whichever policy you buy, some benefits are not payable for holidays in the Republic of Ireland. See the Policy Wording for full details.

  • Are there any restrictions to personal belongings cover?

    Personal Belongings left unattended, out of your sight or in a position where you cannot prevent interference with them (E.G. If you go for a swim, or a drink or other reason) are not covered by this Insurance. Do not leave personal belongings unattended unless locked away.

  • What am I not covered for?

    We have highlighted what we believe are the most important exclusions in the FAQ's, and on the statements we ask you to confirm before you buy our cover. It is not possible for us to list everything you will not be covered for, and we strongly advise you to read the full Policy Wording. Under each section of cover you will find a list of exclusions on the right hand side of the page, and a further list of General Exclusions in Part IV towards the end of the policy wording. These sections must not be read in isolation, but within the context of the full policy wording. If you have any doubts about what is not covered, please contact us on 1800 24 24 67.

  • I have a medical condition, can I be covered?

    Before you buy an AIB Travel Insurance  policy, we ask you to confirm that you are NOT


    • receiving or on a waiting list for treatment in a hospital or nursing home

    • waiting for investigation or referral, or the results of any investigation, medical treatment or surgical procedure, for any condition, whether diagnosed or undiagnosed

    • choosing to take an incorrect dose of prescribed medication, or choosing not to take prescribed medication.

    • travelling against the advice of a medically qualified doctor

    • travelling for the purpose of obtaining medical treatment

    • travelling after being given a terminal prognosis


    If you can confirm these and the other statements we ask you to confirm, you can buy our cover online.

  • Will I be covered for terrorist activity?

    Yes, provided it does not involve nuclear, chemical or biological weapons or agents.

  • I am 64 but I will be 65 within the next 12 months, can I still take out an annual multi-trip policy?

    Yes, but cover will automatically end when the policy finishes - you won't be able to renew it. However, you will then be able to buy 65+ Holiday Travel Insurance from us.

  • I am under 18 - can I buy your policy?

    Unfortunately, no. Policyholders must be at least 18.

  • I am pregnant - will I be covered?

    Under AIB Travel Insurance policies you will be covered for costs relating to complications in pregnancy. Any Medical and Additional Expenses incurred due to complications in pregnancy will be paid provided that if travelling within 12 weeks of your due date you obtained confirmation from a doctor or midwife confirming the number of weeks of pregnancy and that you were fit to travel. This confirmation must be dated no earlier than 5 days before your trip began.

  • How many children can I insure under your policy?

    You can insure up to 7 children, Children must be:


    • the children of you and/or your partner, and

    • under 18 (or under 23 if still in full-time education) on the day you buy your policy, and

    • dependent on you or your partner even if they don't live with you.

  • I have a child over 18 who still lives at home and is in full time education, can we cover him/her under our family policy?

    Yes, provided he or she is under 23 years of age.

  • We have a 'family' policy, but our children live away from home during term time at college. Are they covered?

    As long as your children or your partner's children are not older than 18 years on the day you buy your policy (or under 23 years if still in full-time education) and dependent on you, they are covered - whether they live with you or not. But there are restrictions on their ability to travel without you or your partner.

  • Can children insured under an 'individual and children' or 'family' policy travel on their own?

    Yes, but only if you have bought our annual policy. If the child is named on your annual policy they are covered whilst they are travelling on their own in the following circumstances:


    • in the company of an adult (i.e. someone not defined as a child under this insurance) you or your partner know other than on an organised school, college or university trip

    • travelling on a scheduled air service as an unaccompanied minor, but only if that air service operates an unaccompanied minor scheme, and only if they are travelling with the intention of joining, or being subsequently joined by, another adult insured under the policy.

    • They are not covered whilst traveling on their own in any other circumstances.

  • I am Irish but my partner does not have Irish citizenship, can we purchase a policy to cover us as a couple?

    If your partner is not an Irish citizen, they are covered provided you are both resident in the Republic of Ireland (for 180 days prior to applying for a policy) and your partner is your spouse or a person of either sex with whom you have been living for at least three months as though they were your spouse.

  • I live overseas. Can I buy your insurance?

    Sorry, only Irish residents can buy our insurance.

  • I am going to live abroad and am not returning to the Republic of Ireland. Can I buy your annual travel insurance?

    Sorry, our policy does not cover single direction trips or Non-Republic of Ireland residents. Trips must begin and end in the Republic of Ireland and you must be resident here.

  • I am starting my journey from another country, but returning to the Republic of Ireland after 28 days. Will your policy cover me?

    Sorry, trips must begin and end in the Republic of Ireland.

  • Can I buy AIB Travel Insurance to cover a business related trip?

    No, AIB Travel Insurance does not cover any business related trips. 

  • How can I pay?

    If you buy through the AIB Mobile app, you will pay from your AIB account. If you buy online or over the phone you will need a credit or debit card. Customers who buy online receive an additional 10% discount compared to buying over the phone.

  • How can I make a complaint?

    We are dedicated to providing a high quality service and want to maintain this at all times. If you are not satisfied with our service, please contact us immediately on 1800 24 24 67, quoting your policy details so we can deal with your complaint as soon as possible. 

-------------------End of Accordion Container---------------------------

--------------------Start of Accordion Container---------------------------

Click on edit button to enter Accordion Header

Home Insurance FAQs

  • How can I make a claim?

    You can contact our 24 hour claims helpline on 1850 63 53 43. We also run a 24 hour home helpline. In the event of an emergency you can contact us on 1850 61 99 33 and we’ll put you in touch with someone that can help.

  • How can I pay?

    With AIB Home Insurance the premium is the same whatever way you wish to pay. We offer an interest free direct debit so there are no extra charges to spread the cost. We also accept Mastercard, Visa and Laser cards. And our team on 1850 272625 can also accept cheque, bank draft and postal orders.

  • If I need to make a change to the policy what should I do?

    You can contact our helpline on 1850 27 26 25 Monday to Friday 8am to 8pm and on Saturdays between 10am to 2pm (excluding public holiday weekends).

  • What are all the risks?

    All risks cover you for the loss, theft or accidental damage to certain items away from the home as well as inside. You can specify the individual items if they are over the value of €1,000. Or, you can choose an overall value for a number of unspecified items which are under €1,000 each.

  • What is an excess?

    The excess is the first part of an insurance claim that you would pay yourself. The amount depends on the excess selected and on the type of claim. Please refer to our policy schedule for further information.

  • What is accidental damage?

    You can extend your policy to cover accidental damage to your contents, for example a spillage of paint on the carpet or sofa. It covers you in the event of something sudden and unexpected that you have done accidentally.

  • How much should I insure my contents for?

    You should consider how much it would cost to replace your contents. Contents could be described as the items you would take with you if you moved house. It is worth noting that some items, for example electronic equipment, may cost less to replace today that they did when they were purchased.

  • Should I include my kitchen with my buildings or contents?

    Buildings are defined as the home covered by the schedule, the outbuildings (including greenhouses, decking, garden sheds) and also the fixtures and fittings. Therefore fitted kitchens, fitted bedroom wardrobes and bathrooms should be included with the buildings sum insured.

  • How do I calculate my buildings sum insured?

    The sum insured should represent the cost of rebuilding your home if it is totally destroyed. This is not necessarily the market value of the building. Our rebuild calculator may be used as a guide but is only indicative. For further information please refer to

  • I'm a first time buyer, when does my policy need to be put in place?

    It does depend on the terms and conditions of your mortgage agreement but usually cover needs to be in place for when you are due to draw down on your mortgage. The cover would come into effect when you are the legal owner.

  • Are my tenants contents covered?

    If you have a smart invest policy and have selected contents cover, your policy will cover the contents that you own in the building. The onus is on your tenant to insure their own contents. AIB Home Insurance offer contents only cover from as little as €8.75 per month.

  • If I make my home safer, will my premium be reduced?

    Yes. We will give you a discount for:


    • Approved intruder alarms

    • Good - quality deadlocks on doors & windows

    • Smoke alarms

    • Neighbourhood Watch or Community Alert members

  • If I'm moving house, are my contents covered in transit?

    Yes, as long as you use professional contractors. China, glass and other fragile items are not covered so be careful!

  • Am I covered if someone trips in my home?

    We offer public liability cover up to €3million. This covers in the event of bodily injury to any person in and around your home. For further information please refer to our policy book and/or your schedule.

  • If my house fell to the ground will it be rebuilt to the same standard?

    Insurance is there so your house can be brought back to the same condition it was in before the event of the claim. Your home would be built to the same standard or stage of completion as it was before the incident.

-------------------End of Accordion Container---------------------------

--------------------Start of Accordion Container---------------------------

Click on edit button to enter Accordion Header

Car Insurance FAQs

  • How do I make a claim?

    The easiest way is to ring us on 1890 247 365. We will handle everything and try to make things as painless as possible.

  • What if someone wants to claim off me?

    Contact us and we will handle everything. Do not reply to any correspondence – instead, pass it on to us.

  • I need to get my car repaired as soon as possible and in the meantime I need a replacement car. How do I make this happen?

    If you use an AXA approved repairer, your car will be repaired (with a 3 year guarantee on parts) in the fastest possible time and, in the meantime, we will provide you with a replacement car for a maximum of 7 days.

  • Can you settle a claim without my agreement?

    Yes, but we would only do so if absolutely necessary.

  • If my car is a write-off how do you work out the value?

    We will give you the market value of your car (less the policy excess) unless you have previously purchased depreciation cover.

  • What if it’s a new car?

    If you have comprehensive or third party fire & theft car insurance cover and your car was bought new, is less than 12 months old and the cost of repairs is more than 60% of the replacement cost, we will pay for a new identical model.

  • What’s an excess?

    If you claim for accidental damage to your car, you have to pay the first portion of any claim. The amount you pay is called an excess. Please check your policy schedule to find out the amount of your excess.

  • How does the no claims discount work?

    For every year where you do not claim on the policy (up to 5 years), we will give you a discount. The maximum no claims discount is 75%. If you claim you could lose some or all of this.

  • Can I protect my maximum no claims discount?

    Yes, you can protect your no claims discount for a small extra charge. And, when you have had a maximum no claims discount with us for 10 years we will protect it free of charge for life.

  • What claims do not affect my no claims discount?

    The following claims will not affect your no claims discount;

    • Fire

    • Theft (or attempted theft)

    • Windscreen/glass breakage

    • Loss/damage to personal effects

    • Fire brigade charges

    • Replacement locks.

  • My car was stolen what do I do?

    You must tell us and the Gardaí. As long as you have theft cover, we will give you the market value of your car if it is not recovered.

  • In simple terms what is motor breakdown assistance?

    If your car breaks down or just won’t start, one phone call to our Motor Breakdown Assistance centre will put things right. We’ll send a mechanic to help you. If things can’t be fixed on the spot, we will tow your car to a repairer and, if needs be, help you to complete your journey.

  • What can I do if I locked myself out of my car?

    If you have bought Motor Breakdown Assistance, we can help you. We will pay for one hours labour to get into your vehicle.

  • I have lost my car keys. Am I covered?

    If you have comprehensive or third party, fire & theft cover and your keys were taken from your home by burglars, we will pay up to €750 to get new keys or an alarm remote control made up. Otherwise your policy does not cover you.

  • If I use my car to drive to or from work (or during the working day) am I breaking the social, domestic and pleasure wording on my certificate?

    Your policy will cover your journey to and from work. If you use it in connection with your work, please contact us to make sure you are protected.

  • If I leave my keys in the ignition and my car is stolen am I covered?

    No. Loss or damage caused by theft or attempted theft if the keys (or keyless entry system) are left unsecured or left in or on an unattended car is not covered.

  • How can I be sure who can or cannot drive my car?

    The easiest way is to read your certificate of insurance. Paragraph Six will clearly explain who can drive. Other drivers will be named or described.

  • How do I make a complaint?

    If you are not happy with the service we give you, contact your branch. If you are still unhappy, contact our customer care team on 1850 27 26 25.

  • What am I not covered for?

    You are not covered for wear and tear, routine mechanical faults, loss in value, punctures or tyre damage and parking, speeding fines and so on.

  • What's the difference between Comprehensive and Third Party, fire & theft cover?


    • Damage by fire or theft (fire and theft claims will not reduce your no claims discount)

    • We will also pay any claims or expenses arising from legal action brought against you following a road accident. There is no limit on the amount of personal injury claim settlements we pay on your behalf. If you damage someone else’s property, there is a limit of €30 million.

    • Accidental damage caused by you or others

    • Malicious damage or vandalism

    • Windscreen repair or replacement cover

    • Car stereo cover


    Third Party, Fire and Theft

    • Damage by fire or theft (fire and theft claims will not reduce your no claims discount)

    • We will also pay any claims or expenses arising from legal action brought against you following a road accident. There is no limit on the amount of personal injury claim settlements we pay on your behalf. If you damage someone else’s property, there is a limit of €30 million.

  • What does windscreen cover provide?

    • Glass cover is automatic if you have comprehensive insurance. You can add it to a Third Party or Third Party Fire and Theft policy for an additional premium.

    • We will cover the cost of having your glass replaced or repaired. This includes replacing or repairing broken or damaged windscreens and windows of your car.

    • If you have glass breakage cover and want to make a claim, you must telephone us on 1890 247365 before any repair/replacement work is carried out.

    • If you use one of our nominated repairers (All Glass or Mr. Windscreen) cover will be unlimited.

    • If you use your own repairer, cover will be limited to €250 for replacement glass or €50 for a repair.

  • Can I cancel my policy at any time?

    • Yes. If you cancel within 14 days of buying, we will refund part of your premium (less an administration charge) provided you have not had any claims.

    • It is important that you know that if you cancel after 14 days in the first year of cover, you will not get a proportionate return of your premium (less an administration charge). For example, if you cancelled your policy after 6 months, you would only get 35% of your premium back (less an administration charge). And after 9 months, you would not get any refund at all.

    • However, if you cancel in your second or subsequent year, we will give you a proportionate refund (for example, cancellation after 6 months would see a refund of 50% of your premium, less an administration charge).

    • We can only cancel cover when we receive the insurance certificate and disc back from you.

-------------------End of Accordion Container---------------------------