A savings account that works to your schedule.
The secure, flexible and convenient way to save regularly online.
Designed especially for people who wish to save regularly, the Online Saver offers you the convenience and flexibility of an account that is easy to open and keep track of your savings, at a time that suits you. This account makes online banking as easy as possible for our customers.
If you are an existing customer and are registered for AIB Phone & Internet Banking, you can open your Online Saver account and start saving straight away. You will need an AIB payment account (e.g. an AIB Demand Deposit Account or AIB Current Account) to facilitate your regular monthly savings. If you are a new customer or do not already have a suitable AIB Bank Account, we recommend that you open one of our AIB Demand Deposit Accounts to avoid transaction fees and charges.
Features & Benefits
The Online Saver is available to open through AIB Internet Banking and AIB branches
To use your account, you must be a registered user of AIB Phone & Internet Banking
Choose a monthly savings amount that suits you, from as little as €10
This amount will automatically transfer* by way of Standing Order into your Online Saver each month; you can transfer additional amounts up to a maximum balance of €1,000,000 if and when you want to
Easy access to your money without penalty. You must transfer your money to a suitable AIB account (AIB Demand Deposit Account or AIB Current Account) featured on your AIB Internet Banking profile. Learn more about AIB Phone & Internet Banking transfer limits and operating hours
No branch transactions are allowed on this account
You can hold up to four Online Savers in your own name or shared with someone else. (The only way to open an account with someone else is to visit your local branch). To run a shared account with someone else the signing instruction is ’Any one to sign’. This means both of you can use the account independently without the other’s permission.
You earn variable interest on your money - we calculate interest each day and pay it to your account in April
We don't charge maintenance or transaction fees but there may be other service charges. For details see "A Guide to Fees and Charges for Personal Accounts"
*This payment to the Online Saver Account must come from a suitable payment account such as an AIB Demand Deposit Account or AIB Current Account
Help and Guidance
Tax on Interest earned on Deposit Accounts:
- We will deduct Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT) at the prevailing rate from all interest earned, unless you are entitled to exemption from DIRT, and we will pay this directly to the Revenue Commissioners
- To the extent that DIRT has been deducted there is no further liability to Irish income tax, but you may be subject to PRSI. Deposit Interest is not liable to the Universal Social Charge
- The Bank will deduct DIRT from the accounts of customers unless a fully completed non-resident declaration form is held by the Bank and a minimum balance of €12,500 is maintained at all times in each account maintained by the customer. Where these conditions are maintained, we will apply this DIRT exemption to all accounts you hold with us
- If you or your spouse are aged 65 or over in the current tax year, or permanently incapacitated, and you are exempt from income tax, you may apply to have all interest on the account paid without deduction of DIRT. Each personal account you hold with us requires a separate application
- Details of your account may be reported to the Revenue Commissioners, in accordance with various legislative requirements covering the United States Foreign Account Tax Compliance Act (FATCA), the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD) Common Reporting Standard (CRS) and domestic banking payments regulations.
Personal Identification Requirements
View the Online Saver Important Information
View the Online Saver Terms and Conditions
Find out how even the smallest amount of regular savings will add up
Find out more about our Deposit Account Rates
The Revenue Commissioners is the primary state body responsible for the assessment and collection of taxes and duties
Frequently Asked Questions
View our Online Saver Frequently Asked Questions
For all service related queries please visit our Help Centre.
AER is annual equivalent rate. Rates quoted are variable. Interest is subject to Deposit Interest Retention Tax (DIRT), at the prevailing rate where applicable (for more information please visit: www.revenue.ie).